Let’s talk about work lunches.
A subject fraught with fear over soggy sandwiches, gloppy noodles, and smelly leftovers. And the reason most people ditch the paper bag for quick take-out or plastic wrapped food instead.
Luckily, though, a lot of people have tackled the problems of a work, afternoon meal. Bringing more flavor, more options, and more whole foods to the desk (whether it is beef lettuce wraps or using last night’s dinner party spread for a creamy meat sandwich). But for those on a low-sodium diet, making a simple, satisfying, and packable snack still poses a challenge. And it requires a bit more time and creativity than slapping some mayo and deli meat on a baguette. Which is why were having this chat today. And why we’re going to make some microwave tostadas. To-go.
Now before I get into the specifics, let me encourage all of you (and anyone with special diet needs) to get into that workplace kitchenette and give it a little makeover. Nothing splashy or expensive; just the basics. Because with a few of your favorite spices and sauces, some no-salt added staples (like beans and minute rice), and elementary cooking tools (like a toaster oven or even a mini rice cooker), you and the rest of your coworkers will be able to make very happy desk lunches at a moments notice. And keep you free of reaching for the junk food instead.
As for this To-Go Tostada, all the ingredients will pack easily in that work bag. Or in one of those empty cupboards.
You’ll need :
- 1 corn tortilla (2 if you’re hungry)
- 1/4 cup of ready-to-eat, no-salt-added beans mixed with favorite salt-free spices (cumin, chipotle, salt-free garlic powder), packed in a spill-free container
- 1/2 avocado, packed in a spill free container
- A mix of toppings, packed in a spill-free container: diced tomatoes, peppers, corn, any fresh herbs, lime wedge (basically whatever you have in your fridge, even frozen peas would be good)
What you’ll do:
- Start by “toasting” your tortilla in the microwave. Place the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 1 minute. The tortilla will be soft, but don’t worry. Flip and cook again for another minute. Ta-da. Now it’s crispy. Wipe off the plate with a paper towel and set the tortilla (on the now clean plate) aside.
- Then, in a microwave safe cup mix the beans with the topping mix (excluding fresh herbs and lime wedge). Place in the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute or until warm. Give it a stir to combine.
- Finally, build the tostada, layering the beans on top of the tortilla, the avocado on the beans, herbs on the avocado, and then a squeeze of lime on top.
- Brag to coworkers. Enjoy.